Original Vision 2021-22
a developmental workshop series of innovative works by diverse librettist/composer teams
Overtone Industries is pleased to announce a call for proposals of New Opera-Theater Works as part of our new Original Vision development workshop and showcase in the Spring of 2022. We are looking for new stories of mythic proportion.
The 2021 Maiden Voyage of Original Vision was hailed as “an unparalleled creative, contemporary success” and “Beautifully experimental, the [pieces]...perfectly translate for modern ears, ideals, and sensibilities. They are dark, full-bodied, delicious, and potent” (Broadway World), Original Vision is an opportunity for Overtone Industries to support creative voices as they develop interdisciplinary work in the vein of Overtone’s mythic storytelling model.
The project includes a development period with mentorship from Overtone’s artistic leadership and will culminate in three composer/librettist teams presenting new scenes performed and directed by Overtone’s creative team at the Teatro Frida Kahlo, near Downtown Los Angeles.
scenes from the 2020-21 original vision. Photos by Keida Mascaro
About Mythic Storytelling
Some people define Myth as less than fact; we see it as more than fact - A Myth is a way to communicate on many levels at the same time; to see our human experience as the anchor and evidence of ancient impulses, current understanding, and cosmic laws we can only glimpse. Creating new myths requires people who can feel a narrative from all those perspectives and tell their story through a vivid personal lens. Magic, mystery and the extraordinary as part of our everyday lives are welcome!
Guidelines and Submission Process
There is no submission fee for this call for proposals.
This opportunity is open to artists in any location with an emphasis on those in Southern California. Please note in-person participation will be required and there are no additional funds available for travel. Send all materials to [email protected]
We ask each team to submit the following:
- Scores and recordings (no midi realizations please) of two musical samples, one must show writing for the voice.
- One writing sample of poetry, lyrics, or dialogue
250 word proposal of your work including major themes and how it relates to the notion of Mythic Storytelling.
- Please describe relevant characters and imagined forces necessary for the production (number of singers, types of instrumentation, etc.), and which section you want to develop as part of Original Vision.
- Please include a short statement about why you are interested in the type of work Overtone creates and what you hope to receive from the mentorship process.
- 100 word bio for each collaborating artist.
- Websites for collaborating artists (applicants must have a website).
- Please do not email attachments. Rather, include links to all work samples and other information. You may also send a link to a google drive, dropbox, or other cloud service folder where all the materials are kept. Please make all such links active through October, 2021.
- Sept 15th - Announce Project
- Oct. 15th - Deadline for Application
- Nov. 15th - Participants are selected and informed of acceptance
- Dec. 15th - First draft of libretto for scene
- Dec. 15th - 30th - Initial Check ins
- Jan. 7th - Libretto final draft
- Feb. 1st - First complete drafts of scene (music and libretto)
- Feb. 7th-28th - Feedback sessions with Overtone’s artistic leadership
- April. 1st - Final drafts due and sent to performers
- May. 1st (approx) - rehearsals begin
- May 15th (approx) - Performance weekend
Each scene will be 10-15 minutes in length and will include up to four singers (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) and up to four instruments (Piano, Violin, ‘Cello, Percussion). Live electronics, including keyboard, triggered percussion, or tape, are also welcome.