Call for Proposals of New Music-Theater Works
About Original Vision
Overtone Industries is excited to announce a call for proposals of New Music-Theater Works for the maiden voyage of the Original Vision development workshop and showcase in the Spring of 2021.
Original Vision is an opportunity for Overtone Industries to support creative voices in Southern California as they develop interdisciplinary work in the vein of Overtone’s mythic storytelling model. The project includes a development period with mentorship from Overtone’s artistic leadership and will culminate in three composer/librettist teams presenting new 10-15 minute scenes directed by Overtone’s Artistic Director O-Lan Jones.
About Mythic Storytelling
Some people define Myth as less than fact; we see it as more than fact - A Myth is a way to communicate on many levels at the same time; to see our human experience as the anchor and evidence of ancient impulses, current understanding, and cosmic laws we can only glimpse. We are looking for stories of mythic proportion. This does not necessarily mean we are looking for new creation mythologies filled with gods, heroes, and monsters. Rather, creating new myths requires people who can feel a narrative from the perspective of life's exceptional elements and tell their story through a vivid personal lens. Magic, mystery and the extraordinary as part of our everyday lives welcomed!
CalArts Workshop of the War Machine, designed by Snezana Petrovic
Guidelines and Submission Process
There is no submission fee for this call for proposals.
This opportunity is open to artists of any age in the Southern California region as in-person participation will be required (Covid-19 permitting).
An honorarium of $1,000 will be awarded to each composer/librettist team.
We ask each team to submit the following:
- A 100-word bio for each collaborating artist.
- Websites for collaborating artists (applicants must have a website).
- Scores and recordings up to 10 minutes of two musical samples. One must show writing for the voice. (no midi realizations please)
- One writing sample of poetry, lyrics, or dialogue up to 10 pages.
- A 250-word proposal of your work including an outline and major themes.
- A description of relevant characters and imagined forces necessary for the production (number of singers, types of instrumentation, etc.), and which section of the whole story you want to develop as part of Original Vision.
- In light of the pandemic, consider the medium for this performance and how you imagine it could be presented if we are unable to host an in-person workshop.
Please do not email attachments. Rather, include links to all work samples and other information. You may also send a link to a google drive, dropbox, or other cloud service folder where all the materials are kept. Please make all such links active through October 31st, 2020.
Send all applications to email@example.com
Sept 15th - Project announced and open for submissions
Oct. 15th - Deadline for applications at 11:59pm Pacific Time
Nov. 15th - Participants are selected and informed of acceptance
Feb. 1st - First complete draft of their segment is due
Feb. 15st - Feedback meetings with O-Lan Jones.
March. 15th - Final drafts due and sent to performers
April. 15th (approx) - Performance weekend