Original Vision 2021-22
a developmental workshop series of innovative works by diverse librettist/composer teams
Submissions are currently closed. Join our newsletter to receive announcements about a new call for proposals in the fall!
About Original Vision
Overtone Industries is pleased to announce a call for proposals of New Music-Theater Works as part of our new Original Vision development workshop and showcase in the Spring of 2021. We are looking for new stories of mythic proportion.
Original Vision is an opportunity for Overtone Industries to support creative voices in the Southern California as they develop interdisciplinary work in the vein of Overtone’s mythic storytelling model. The project includes a development period with mentorship from Overtone’s artistic leadership and will culminate in three composer/librettist teams presenting new scenes performed and directed by Overtone’s creative team at the Teatro Frida Kahlo, near Downtown Los Angeles.
About Mythic Storytelling
Some people define Myth as less than fact; we see it as more than fact - A Myth is a way to communicate on many levels at the same time; to see our human experience as the anchor and evidence of ancient impulses, current understanding, and cosmic laws we can only glimpse. Creating new myths requires people who can feel a narrative from all those perspectives and tell their story through a vivid personal lens. Magic, mystery and the extraordinary as part of our everyday lives are welcome!
Guidelines and Submission Process (coming in the fall of 2021)
There is no submission fee for this call for proposals.
This opportunity is open to artists of any age in the Southern California region as in-person participation will be required (Covid-19 permitting).
We ask each team to submit the following:
- Scores and recordings (no midi realizations please) of two musical samples, one must show writing for the voice.
- One writing sample of poetry, lyrics, or dialogue
- 250 word proposal of your work including major themes and how it relates to the notion of Mythic Storytelling.
- Please describe relevant characters and imagined forces necessary for the production (number of singers, types of instrumentation, etc.), and which section you want to develop as part of Original Vision.
- In light of the pandemic, consider the medium for this performance and how you imagine it could be presented if we are unable to host an in-person workshop.
- 100 word bio for each collaborating artist.
- Websites for collaborating artists (applicants must have a website).
Please do not email attachments. Rather, include links to all work samples and other information. You may also send a link to a google drive, dropbox, or other cloud service folder where all the materials are kept.